A visa for Nepal can be obtained on arrival at the Tribhuvan International Airport, Kathmandu and at border entry points in Kakadvitta, Birgunj, Bhairahawa, Nepalgunj, Gaddachowki on the Nepal-India border And Kodari & Kerung on the Nepal-China border.
On Arrival' visa procedure at Kathmandu Airport is very quick and simple. You can expect some queues during peak Tourist season. If you wish to skip those queues, you can also consider getting Visa from Nepalese Diplomatic Missions stationed abroad prior to your arrival. Choice is yours.
If you have obtained visa from Nepalese Diplomatic Missions, then you must enter Nepal within six months from the visa issued date. Your total stay is counted starting from the day you enter into Nepal.
Visas obtained on Arrival at the Entry and Exit points are 'Tourist Visas'. They bear multiple Re entry facility. Tourist Visa 'On Arrival' is the only entry visa to Nepal. If you are visiting Nepal for the purposes other than Tourism (sightseeing, tour, travel, mountaineering, trekking, visiting friends and families), you should still get ' Tourist Visa' to get into the country. However, you must change the category of visa as per your purpose and length of stay in Nepal from Department of Immigration by producing required documents.
Nationals of designated countries (Nigeria, Ghana, Zimbabwe, Swaziland, Cameroon, Somalia, Liberia, Ethiopia, Iraq, Palestine and Afghanistan) are requested to acquire Visa prior their arrival from their nearby Diplomatic missions (Embassies/consulates) of Nepal Government.
Please follow these simple procedures for Tourist Visa on Arrival at the airport (TIA) if you have not acquired Visa prior to boarding the plane.
- 1st Step
- Fill in ' Arrival Card '
- Fill in Online ‘Tourist Visa ‘form ( you can fill it up prior to your arrival visiting our official website http://online.nepalimmigration.gov.np/tourist-visa / fill it up using Kiosk machines upon your arrival at the airport). If you fill it from the website, you will get submission Receipt with barcode, please print it out and bring it along for acquiring visa. It works for fifteen days and becomes invalid then after. If so, you will have to fill it up again.
- 2nd Step
- Get the receipt
- Make payment at the bank according to your visa requirement ( 15/30/90 Days)
- 3rd Step
- Proceed to the Immigration Desk with your online form, payment receipts and your passport
- Hand in your documents to immigration officer for visa processing. He/she issues visa to you upon his/her satisfaction.
A. Tourist Visa Fee for Nepal
|15 days||US$ 30 or equivalent convertible currency||Multiple entry|
|30 days||US$ 50 or equivalent convertible currency||Multiple entry|
|90 days||US$ 150 or equivalent convertible currency||Multiple entry|
B. Gratis (Free) Visa
- Gratis Visa is issued free of cost in case of following categories of Visa applicants:
- Children below 10 years except US citizens
- Up to 30 days for SAARC Citizen (except Afghanistan) visiting Nepal for the first time in a given visa Year. Afghan citizen are eligible for Gratis Visa on Arrival only upon the recommendation of Department of Immigration. If you are an Afghan citizen, you can request concerned institution inviting you to Nepal for necessary paperwork with Department of Immigration to get you Gratis Visa 'On Arrival'.
- Non Residential Nepalese(NRN) card holder ( issued by MoFA /Nepalese diplomatic missions abroad)
- Chinese Nationals
Officials from China, Brazil, Russia and Thailand do not need Entry Visa based on reciprocal visa waiver Agreement
Visas of all kinds including ‘Gratis’ issued at the Airport are Tourist Visas. Contact Department of Immigration for extending your visa or changing the category of your visa. Tourist Visa extension can be done from Immigration Office, Pokhara too. Non tourist visa extension can be done only at Department of Immigration (if eligible) for a period of maximum one year (except business visa).
C. Nepal Visa for Indian Nationals
Indian nationals do not require a visa to enter Nepal. As per the Nepalese Immigration, Indian Nationals Travelling to Nepal must possess any One of the following documents.
- Driving License with photo
- Photo Identity card issued by a Government Agency
- Ration Card with Photo
- Election Commission Card with Photo
- Identity Card issued by Embassy of India in Kathmandu
- Identity Card with Photo issued by Sub-Divisional Magistrate or any other officials above his rank.
D. Nepal Visa for Chinese Nationals
Nepal Government has decided to provide gratist visa to Chinese Nationals visiting Nepal, Chinese Nationals visiting Nepal could acquire gratist visa upon their arrival in any entry point of Nepal stated above.
E. Visa Extension for Nepal
Tourists can stay for a maximum of 150 days in a visa year (Jan 1 to Dec 31).
Visa Extension Fee
- Tourist visa extension is done for minimum 15 days with USD 45 and USD 3 per day for additional days.
- In the case of delay less than 150 days additional USD 5 per day as late fine.
- Extension of visa can me mad at Department of Immigration, Kalikasthan Kathmandu Nepal.